Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened…

To continue the title of this post, …on the way to the Anticoagulant Clinic.  One of the things I had to do was visit the Anti Coagulant Clinic and get my finger stuck for the ninth time.  They test my bloods ability to coagulate and then when I am in the hospital they will start me on the drug called Warfarin the generic of Coumadin. My INR (the measurement they use) was 1.1 which Gianna said was normal.  Gianna is my Pharmacist and she was very nice to speak to and easy to look at.  She explained everything about the process of blood thinning and told us all the goods and bads when it came to thin blood and blood clots.

The meeting took about an hour , but when I got home I got a call from Gianna and she informed me that after looking at the prescriptions that I am taking, I was taking two prescriptions from the same family and that was not suppose to happen.  She told me to call my primary doctor and ask what was up.  I called. Within the hour my primary doctor called back and said oops!  Oops is something you shouldn't say in the medical field, but he said it.  He also covered by saying that we have been controlling my high blood pressure with smaller doses of several drugs and that in combination the two oops drugs did not exceed the normal higher dose level for that drug family.  I said OK, thank you, I think. So now I am taking only four meds to help my high blood pressure and to help lower my cholesterol levels.  I will report that to all the varous areas that requested a list of meds, and everything will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment